- Winnipeg is the only major urban area in the developed world without freeways.
- Although they are unpopular with some urban planners, freeways not only reduce congestion and pollution, they make cities more efficient in economic terms.
- In its current state, Winnipeg’s Perimeter Highway is dangerously designed at about 70 points.
- Bringing it up to freeway standards would entail installing overpasses, underpasses or cloverleafs at several key intersections.
- The cost of such work would amount to approximately $440 million, a bargain when the benefits are considered.