Talking Points Treaty Annuities
The talking points on modernizing treaty annuities are intended to provide an accessible means of conveying the key points to a general audience, with later translations into French and Cree (the largest Indigenous language group in Canada). The talking points are conveyed in six (6) themes:
- Treaty annuity rights are an individual right;
- Treaty annuities are intended to empower FN individuals and families within the collective;
- Treaty annuities are intended as a livelihood support;
- Treaty annuities are a means of sharing the land;
- Five key reasons why treaty annuities have not been modernized since 1875;
- Modernizing annuities today means empowering FN individuals and families.